Puri is only an one and half hour hour taxi ride from Bhubaneswar. You can get there one way for approximately 600 rupees by car . The taxi that the matha can help you arrange charges 50 rupees per hour and 3.5 rupees per kilometer, with 10 kilometers free each hour . They charge up-down (double) the mileage if you want to just drop and arrange a return after some time visting Puri.
You can also visit the Ananta Vasudeva temple in Bhubaneswar. Unlike the main Jagannatha Mandira and the Saksi Gopal Mandiras the management of this tepmle does not bar anyone, Western born or Indian born from taking darshana. The prasadam here is cooked exactly as is done in the Puri Jagannatha Mandira in a large kitchen with wood stoves. The various subjis, rice and dahls are cooked in the same clay pots that the prasadam is eventually distributed in. They like to use chilies so bring your own bottle of water if you have a delicate palate!
View these pages for some photos of the temples in Bhubaneswar.
For more general information you can go here.
Also view City guide- Orissa- Bhubaneswar and Tourist Destinations in Orissa - Bhubaneswar
The temple program at the Gour Govinda Gaudiya Matha is very sweet and very powerful for bhajana and sadhana. Prasadam and the Vaisnava association here are also first class. Sripad B.V. Muni Maharaja is a very talented and stong kirtaniya. He has recrded the Gita Govinda, Songs of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, Maha-mantra and other CD titles, all of top quality. More detailed information on their content, pictures of the jacket covers and availability will be forthcoming on this page soon.
Puru das, das anudas
Sri Raman Vihari Goudiya Matha
Janakpuri, New Dehli 110058
December 5, 2006
Among the many precepts found in the Deed of Trust are the following:
1. To preach and propagate consciousness of Krishna, as it is revealed in Bhagavad-Gita, Srimad Bhagavatam, and all Gaudiya Vaisnava scriptures coming in the line of disciplic succession.
2. To teach and encourage the Sankirtan Movement congregational chanting of the holy names of God, as revealed in the teaching of Lord Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu.
3. To propagate spiritual knowledge to society and to educate people in the technique of spiritual life in order to check the imbalance of values in life and achieve real unity and peace in society.
4. To bring the member closer together a simple, more natural way of life.
5. To teach about the traditional Vedic Culture among the people in the villages by regular spiritual programs.
6. To spread the Vedic culture and broadcast Krishna Consciousness scientifically among academic institutions.
7. To renovate or repair any temple or other places that are of historic, archeological and/or artistic importance, as well as any place of public worship of renown throughout any states in the Indian subcontinent.
8. To open, found, establish, promote, set up, run maintain assist and/or aid or help in the setting up and/or maintenance ad/or running institutions, lecture halls and other establishments for advancement of spiritual education and of knowledge in Vedic arts, Vedic science, Vedic literatures, humanities and all other useful subjects in all their manifestations.
Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu and His parishadas (associates) preached in this part of India for many years during Their prakrat lila. A partial listing of such preachers includes: Syamananda Prabhu, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, and Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura Due to the influence of time and kali-yuga, people are being misled by many sahajiyas and apa-sampradaya misconceptions.
Therefore the duty to preach bona fide Vaisnava tattva and siddhanta now falls to the sincere followers of our acaryas, who are trying to continue their mission under the guidance of Hari, Guru and Vaisnavas. His Divine Grace Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada ordered Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja to protect this great culture of Srii Caitanya Maharaphu in Orissa, Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja similarly ordered Sripad Bhaktivedanta Muni Maharaja to preach the mission of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu extensively. Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja also ordered Srimati Jagatmohini dasi to start nama-hatta preaching programs in Orissa and to preach Krsna Consciousenss in villages and educational institutions.
The present matha was established directly under the guidance of His Divine Grace Srila Bhaktivedanta Narayana Maharaja to fulfill the previous order of the two predecessor acaryas, Srila A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, and Srila Gour Govinda Maharaja.
Om tat sat!
Mrs. Mana Tjanderwattie (aka Jagatmohini devi dasi)
Account # 10872467343
Swift SBI NIN BB 270
State Bank of India, Bhubaneswar/Main Branch
P.B. Division, (NRE cell)
Bhubaneswar - 751009
Srila Gour Govinda